5 Oct

Zombies shambling to your TV soon. Alive!

Posted by Bryan White | Friday October 5, 2007 | News

Alive!The Trek Movie Report blog reported today that the upcoming serialized zombie-drama, Alive! is underway. Until today, I knew nothing about this and I’m a little on edge about it. The show’s creators are some writers for the last Star Trek show, Enterprise. I stopped giving a shit about Trek after Next Generation went off the air but I see the ads for Enterprise on Sci-Fi all the time and, quite frankly, I think it looks like shit. Enough bitching about Star Trek, though.

Details are still pretty slim. The show was created by Enterprise writers Judith and Garfield Reeves Steven, for what it’s worth, and takes place after a global zombie outbreak has gone down. The show concerns itself with the occupants of a government bunker named Falcon Rock while nearly everyone else in the world stumbles around outside looking for someone to eat.

Also, these aren’t your father’s living dead. These are new-fangled running zombies since no one these days can see what is so absolutely fucking frightening about being cornered by a legion of the hungry dead, no ammo and nowhere to go. Whatever. I take issue with that but apparently I’m a minority these days since I like the good old Romero style zombies that are easy to outrun in small numbers but a real problem in larger packs. Expect a sense of humor and the continuing preoccupation with brains that people unfamiliar with zombie movies seem to think is so common.

There are no details about what channel this is going to be on and the pilot episode is still many months off. In the meantime, check out their podcasts and keep your fingers crossed that this doesnt suck.

1. October 5, 2007 3:13 pm

THX-1138

Hi Bryan!
    Cool preview. You seem to be a person of intellect and words. Although this came on to trekmovie.com with your link so I thought I just might let you know that the Trek bashing might not have been a good idea. But from the looks of your site, popularity does not seem to be your biggest concern.

2. October 5, 2007 9:33 pm

Josh

Oh man, thats depressing. I had some serious ideas for a zombie show.

3. October 6, 2007 4:47 am

Who’s bashing Star Trek? I thought Classic Trek and TNG were high points for television sci-fi. Total trend setters with outstanding writing. I saw a couple Deep Space 9 and Voyager episodes and they didn’t really tickle my fancy, despite the occasional guest spot from one of my favorite actors, Jeffrey Combs. Enterprise, as much I liked the idea just doesn’t do anything for me. Maybe it’s Scott Bakula. I don’t know. But thanks for coming by, regardless.

Josh: I had some big ideas, too. I think every fan of zombies gives a lot of careful consideration to how they would go about it. I remember back around 1998 when George Romero announced that he had a script for what would ultimately be Land of the Dead, there was also talk of a Night of the Living Dead series for Showtime. I don’t think any details ever surfaced and obviously the project never came to be but that had my mental wheels turning.

I was a big fan of the Grendel Tales comics and the format was always a series of three to six issues dealing with one story and characters before switching to a new story and characters. Sometimes they would revisit popular characters with new stories. I always saw the NotLD series like that. A series of episodic movies, occasionally going back to popular casts for new stories happening in the same continuity. I thought that would have been great.

I’m also not ready to outright discount the possibility that this show could be cool. One of the writers is an experienced horror novelist. So you never know. Zombies are a tight rope, though. When done right, it’s thrilling, when done wrong, it’s a disaster.

4. October 6, 2007 9:11 am

Ron Jon

Yes, Garfield Reeves-Stevens has some real cred as a horror writer. A little twisted, even.

5. October 11, 2007 10:39 am

Retroman DC

WOW THX, Bryan was in no way Bashing Star Trek by saying the last series Enterprise was the weakest which is was and most people agree with that. Star Trek Next Generation was the best with a close second to the original series in my opinion. Voyager was pretty good. Deep Space was ok. Don’t slam his site. his site rocks!
    I’m interested in this zombie series though. Might have potential…but yeah zombies shouldn’t run. That’s a 28 Days later infection thing not a dead guy walking thing.

6. October 18, 2007 2:37 am

Dan

Curious to see what happens with this, especially since CBS has readied ‘Babylon Fields’ a zombie-centric drama as a mid-season replacement. Think ‘Jericho’ but with zombies.