20 Apr

Lock up the good silver. Jim Van Bebber filmography coming to DVD.

Posted by Bryan White | Sunday April 20, 2008 | News

Jim Van Bebber Visions of HellI have strange opinions about Jim Van Bebber.  I think that when he’s not locked up in prison, blowing his budgets on booze and drugs or threatening Don May Jr.’s answering machine he makes fucking fantastic movies.  It’s a shame that his personal problems prevent him from meeting his potential as a filmmaker because if you’ve ever seen Deadbeat at Dawn, it’s the kind of movie that makes you think that you, too, could make a feature length movie on wishes and credit cards; full of fights and reckless car stunts.  Van Bebber at his best makes you think that anything is possible.  Van Bebber at his worst makes you realize just what a disaster he is, personally.  But we’re not here to hang with Jim, we’re here to watch his movies.

For the longest time, Jim’s stuff has been way out of print.  The bulk of his repertoire is mostly short films and music videos so before The Manson Family came along, you could fit most of it on a DVD.  And they did.  Synapse released an outstanding edition of Deadbeat At Dawn a while back.  It contained a ton of his short work including the better-than-it-should-be short My Sweet Satan, about the Ricky Casso murder, a big-ticket fear machine that fueled the satanic panic of the 80′s.  Unfortunately, the DVD slipped out of print and never came back.  Help is on the way, though.

On May 27th, Dark Sky films will release a 4-disc boxed set which boasts Jim’s features Deadbeat At Dawn and The Manson Family (formerly Charlie’s Family), the shorts, short films from high school, a documentary about Jim and his cast members and a doc from the last Fantasia Film Festival.  All in all a worthy purchase.  Jim’s movies are raw and very, very nasty.  The videos for Necrophagia are better left unseen, though.

1. April 21, 2008 7:05 am

Remo D.

I’ll bet there’s nothing in there about Jim’s appearance in our project THE WOODEN GATE or his subsequent contribution to our cancer charity event. I don’t recall anyone ever approaching us about OUR experience with Jim VanBebber. Funny, that…

2. April 21, 2008 7:10 am

Oh man, Remo. You have to share this story with us. Van Bebber stories are ALWAYS great.

3. April 21, 2008 6:11 pm

Remo D.

It gets better, but I’ll have to find out the details of just what IS and what is NOT acknowledged on this set before I pop off (or not). It will suffice to say that Dark Sky Entertainment was offered THE WOODEN GATE (in other words, they HAVE a copy) and was kept very much in the loop regarding our activities, even though they chose to do nothing with the project. Bottom line, they don’t get to play ignorant or innocent if they skipped this chapter of Jim’s life and career in the documentary material. I’ll be in touch after I go straight to the horse (of course of course).

4. September 7, 2010 11:02 pm

Vic Noto

Jim is a brother…TOO Fucken bad the world is a bunch of Politically Correct SOFTIES who actually Think one should behave according to THEIR Weak Superficial Standards.
    Years back MEN ran the Business….Now it’s all Women with COCKS!

5. October 24, 2010 6:31 pm

gregg

Actually, the videos for Necrophagia are the reasons I would order this. EPIC.

FYI, Necrophagia (in this video) features Phil Anselmo of Pantera on Guitar, and write songs about gory horror flicks. The author of this article obviously did not know this.

6. October 24, 2010 8:56 pm

FYI, the author did know this and Van Bebber’s “videos” for Necrophagia are some of the laziest crap he’s responsible for. The clip on Grindhouse Releasing’s Cannibal Holocaust is basically the members of the band, at the time including Phil Anselmo, sitting on a couch and lazily playing their song. It’s like he didn’t give a fuck and the rest of the band was too strung out to be bothered. It’s like Necrophagia offered him enough money to buy an eightball to make their video and he agreed. His videos for Skinny Puppy, by the way, are fucking awesome! Worlock and Spasmolytic are incredible. The Necrophagia videos are not. The contrast in quality shows just how far Jim has slipped.

7. April 16, 2011 12:53 pm

D.A.G.

Van Bebber was Evicted from his Los Angeles flea bag apartment,then took a greyhound to live with his Mother in crystal river florida. He’s a drunken bum who sponges off everyone,been in jail for a few years beating a female
    (he’s a real man.Van Bebber is a psychotic from a rich family who financed his Short movies. Manson took almost 20 years to complete and it’s out of circulation. You people fail to realize that Van Bebber is not the same kid he was 25 years ago,he doesn’t look the same,but he was always a drunken Psycho. He will never make another movie,he does not want to and no one will give him 2 cents towards that goal anyway. Smoke,drugs and booze is Van Bebber the bum.

8. April 20, 2011 10:44 pm

Nancy Forrest

I actually met Jim Van Bebber at a convention,he seemed like an ok guy,as he was drinking a beer in a paper sack from underneath the table. He seemed to ramble on about nothing. I recently heard the infamous Don May tapes and Jim Van Bebber is a Coward as he calls Don,knowing he would not be in the office on a Sunday Morning. The calls came in ranging from 3:00 AM to about 11:00 AM,and he was speaking as if he were talking to a real person and not a machine,but that’s the coward way. I think Alcohol is his smallest problem,he’s crazy.

9. April 21, 2011 4:15 pm

Shuck

It’s pretty sad that Van Bebber,talented as he Was,has more or less wasted his Gifts.The realty is he’s made movies not making Movies,I think his “Fans” should grow up and move on that what was and what is are 2 different things,he really is a never was. Most of those who watch any of his movies fail to realize that they were shot many years ago,Not last week,get out of your time warps.

10. April 21, 2011 4:20 pm

I’m getting a lot of action in this article lately and it strikes me as a little weird. I wrote this article, like, three years ago when I still reported news like a bargain-basement version of Dread Central. Back then I was just trying to draw attention to this release. These days I think it’s out of print with the rest of Jim’s work. Considering that all his projects take no less than ten years to complete, I can safely say that he’ll probably never work again. You can all relax.

11. May 3, 2011 11:41 pm

Shuck

Van Bebber is a Low life who thinks everyone owes him a living,he never worked even 1 day in his life yet absconds with film investors money.

12. December 18, 2011 5:28 pm

Vic Noto

I came up with the title of SCALES for a movie I and Jim Van Bebber BOTH wrote on a 50/50 basis. It is NOT a Horror movie as HE would have people believe. It takes place just at the end of World War II as RAY SCALES a BATAAN Survivor ends up running a roadside Alligator Wrestling show and diner.I created about 95% of the characters and MOST of the storyline,and I will play RAY SCALES one of the characters I created.I’ve always written Screenplays the entire time I’ve been an actor.

13. July 17, 2012 9:16 pm

Jay P

Jim Van Bebber is a badass dude and o wish him success on his new film Gator Green. There’s also a documentary being made on him “Diary of a Deadbeat”.

14. September 7, 2012 11:12 pm

Bonnet

Go to James Vanbebber Florida Mugshot. He got nailed for DUI by the Citrus County Sheriffs deputies after driving all over the place and almost killing some 6 year old Black girl. Check out his Drunken Puss. He REFUSED a field sobriety test,the result is he LOST his driving priviliges for LIFE!

15. December 26, 2012 1:51 pm

Nate

Please note that all of these crazy comments are from Vic Noto. The article referenced in the last comment has many more loony comments from Noto, several of which are posted under the name of Heidi Martinuzzi…whom Noto harassed with a constant stream of threatening emails and forum posts starting sometime in April. Noto is either genuinely insane or this is the single greatest piece of internet performance art I have ever seen.

The fun starts here: