24 May

The LOST series finale: Disappointment in six seasons

Posted by Bryan White | Monday May 24, 2010 | Reviews

There’s really something powerful to being party to a television show that sparks a low-level cultural revolution. From the dawn of the medium, we’ve been given some shows that really set the pace for the American consciousness. We got stuff like The Honeymooners, I Love Lucy, The Twilight Zone, Star Trek, The Simpsons, The X-Files, Seinfeld and with the passing of this final season of LOST, we can now add another name to the pantheon of television avatars. For six seasons, LOST brought its A-game and introduced an entirely unexplored, extremely risky proposition to a medium that has traditionally played it safe with serialized storytelling. We were introduced to a winding, labyrinthine narrative that required a certain kind of devotion that no other TV show had ever commanded. Its primary selling point was an enduring, ceaseless mystery that kept a firm iron grasp on everyone who dared to venture down the rabbit hole. Not since the cliff hanger mystery of ‘Who shot J.R.’ had we been so captivated by the mystery of who might occupy the coffin at the close of Season 4. At its peak, LOST suggested a massive plan with a certain end-game in mind and had everyone who watched it reading hardcore weirdo literature, exploring philosophies foreign and familiar and forming their own theories as to just what the hell was going on on The Island. LOST also managed to bridge the science fiction gap with a well-orchestrated series of relationship dramas and a cast of characters that mattered to the audience. Character deaths had actual dramatic weight and the on-again-off-again nature of their romances factored heavily into the proceedings. LOST, miraculously, managed to be everything to everyone — So how did it wind up dropping the ball so spectacularly in its final movement?

Like all powerful television that comes to a close, LOST is proving to cut its audience in half. The fan reaction this morning is looking a lot like the day after discussion for shows like The Sopranos and Battlestar Galactica. Its conclusion has left half the viewership satisfied, happy and in some cases even elated while the other half grumbles endlessly amongst itself about loose ends and unanswered questions. Though I went to bed last night firmly entrenched in the latter camp, some reflection and grieving has softened my approach to what I at first considered to be a tremendous failure for one of TV’s most terrific and complex achievements. Though I’m not likely to go into my autumn years pining for Kate and Sawyer like I do these days, pining for Mulder and Scully, LOST made a huge impact on my pop cultural experience by dropping some heavy sci-fi into my brain and giving me enough space to mold it into what I thought made sense. However, as the show moved into its end-game, my fascination transformed into disillusionment as it became painfully obvious that many of LOST’s incredibly dense mysteries seemed like idea fragments dropped in meetings for the writing staff and were then thrust into the scripts without giving them much forethought as to how they would tie into the overall mystery. The show’s central conceit of endlessly complicated mythology eventually became its own worst enemy.

The lid is now back on the show and it puts me in an unique position. I spent six seasons of television analyzing all the pieces and turning them until they fit into a pattern that made sense to me. Each new development, each new question that led to another question made me constantly reassess my theory of the inner workings of The Island, The Others, The DHARMA Initiative and Jacob. The ride, from the moment that John Locke found The Hatch (the precise moment that I was hooked on LOST) to the detonation of the atom bomb at the Swan Station, was the most important part of the show to me. I liked many of the characters, but when the chips are down, I was far more interested in the esoteric workings of the mythology. The various peaks and valleys of the mythology’s development kept my mind moving and introduced me to very cool ideas. With a sixth season boiling most of that away to reveal that LOST was, first and foremost, a character driven show about the struggle between good and evil, waged by perilously flawed good guys and bad guys I was left with nothing but flimsy answers to questions that I thought I had figured out many seasons ago. The show hadn’t exactly failed me, it just failed to match my own expectations that I had set, myself. The writers get off easy in this case because I set myself up to fail as it is now apparent that they never knew where they were going with any of this. Many questions were hastily answered with flimsy solutions to solid problems.

I’m not strictly a mythology fan, though. I think I have to make this clear. LOST is responsible for some of the greatest TV heroes and villains of this generation. Prior to LOST I only recognized Terry O’Quinn as The Stepfather, a late horror entry that I never liked but going forward I’ll only ever recognize him as the ultimate man of faith, John Locke, rugged and badass, whose ultimate fate at the hands of Ben Linus gave way to an interesting turn as an entirely different, albeit equally as charismatic villain. Ben Linus, thanks to Michael Emerson’s enlightening performance took a character slated for a three episode run in season 2 and turned him into the ultimate wildcard character and one of the most important components of the entire LOST experience. Locke was in it for the long haul, having been cast from day one, but without Ben Linus, LOST wouldn’t have been the same show. I also readily admit that some of The End’s schmaltziest reunions made me grin even when they didn’t jive with the rest of the series’ conventions.

See, LOST didn’t just fail me because its mythology didn’t match up to the map I was following, the series finale is loaded with dramatic loose ends related to the characters, themselves. For instance why does Penny get to move on with the 815 passengers and Desmond when she never set foot on the island but Michael and Walt are nowhere to be found. Murderer or not, Michael should be if even Ben Linus has the option. We did get closure on whose heart lies where when it came to Jack, Sawyer, Kate and Juliet but half of that complicated romance were characters I considered deeply obnoxious. What’s worse, I was with The End right up until the final reveal explaining precisely what was going on. The revelation of the flash sideways was full of warm and fuzzy sentiment but seemed to be pregamed in such a way to distract you with lots of happiness and hugging so you would forget about all of the flaws and loose ends left in its wake. The way I see it, even if you live on the opposite end of the LOST spectrum from me, the emotional relationship drama fell flat as well because of ragged, hacked plotting.

Ultimately, LOST fails in the end because its most important puzzle piece, the mystery, required the show to twist and turn endlessly, stretching the mythology without end. J.J. Abrams once gave a TED Talk about his love affair with mystery and based it entirely on a mystery box that he’d had in his possession since his childhood, still unopened. The entire premise of his talk was about how the wonder and excitement of what was inside was more important than the actual contents of the box and that opening it would demystify its contents and reveal that the endless possibility of the box’s contents were, in fact, a couple dozen green plastic army men or some Radio Shack comic books about electrical safety. Season 6 of LOST was a metaphorical opening of the mystery box and its series finale, The End, turned out to be that demystifying revelation of what was actually inside. It turns out that without the periodic consideration of LOST’s contents, the endless possibility of what may have been going on inside it, LOST hadn’t really been hiding anything all that interesting and maybe we should have left it closed to begin with. I hesitate to leave this obituary of one of my all-time favorite TV shows on a sour note, though. Season 6 notwithstanding, I’m going to miss LOST dearly. Nise and I formed a weekly ritual around it and since we weren’t with the show from the beginning, we spent a couple of weeks fused to the sofa, binging through the first two seasons of the show in order to get caught up for Season 3. We grew to love and hate characters, we formed our own differing opinions of where the show was going and the discussions we had transformed the show into a good friend of ours. With LOST now off the air, it’s like I’ve lost a friend as melodramatic as that may be. I accept it, though. I just need to find something new (*coughFRINGEcough*) that captivates my imagination in the same way.

4 8 15 16 23 42

1. May 24, 2010 12:57 pm

Knarf Black

Funny, I had a very similar reaction to the show years ago, when I made a half hearted attempt to watch before giving up (I have a general hatred of flashbacks) and contenting myself to looking up synopses on wikipedia every couple of years.

The mythology was the only thing threatening to drag me back in, but after the sad fizzling out of shows like X-files, Twin Peaks, and Carnivale, I decided to wait until it was all wrapped up with a massive exposition dump to tie everything together.

It doesn’t sound like that happened.

2. May 24, 2010 2:52 pm

Rich Brunelle

I didn’t mind it. While they didn’t answer all the questions or tie up all of the loose ends, I still enjoyed it.
    A sad and happy ending at the same time, and while people keep saying that it was too simple, or not what they were looking for, I still see idiots on the internet who just didn’t get it at all.
    “See?! Toldja they wuz in Purgatory, and I haven’t even watched dat stoopid show evaaa!”
    Loved the characters more than any ever in television history, so I thought the final episode did a great job of doing them justice, giving us some great emotional scenes as each person or duo was remembering everything.
    As bad as some final episodes to shows have been, I will take this one any day.

3. May 24, 2010 3:34 pm

Dan

I dedicated myself from the beginning to watching all 6 seasons, and I don’t think you could have put it better by describing J.J. Abrams mystery box. That is EXACTLY what LOST had going for it the entire time, and towards season 4-5 I think we all knew it but were afraid to admit it. The answers were inevitably the shows downfall. Am I mad that I stuck with it for 6 years? Absolutely not! I loved the show while it was on. However, I assumed I would be more satisfied with The End. Although in truth, I think it was really our own assumptions and never ending thirst for the answers that let us down. Too much speculation, hype and hope combined.

Oh, dude, Fringe is the shit! With LOST, their biggest pull was the underlying story (the mystery of the island) At least with Fringe we get a new mystery & conclusion every episode, meanwhile building into one larger underlying story line. I was skeptical midway through season 1, but now i am thoroughly hooked. Also, I can’t help but notice the relevance between Dr. Venture & Walter after you pointed it out on FB. Which ultimately makes the show that much better.

4. May 25, 2010 1:28 pm

RX

I’m not a big TV person. Getting into a show feels like too much of an investment to me and I’m not really into character dramas. But Lost got me hooked–for the interesting narrative devices and the mystery that it’s apparently sacrilege to care about now. That it got me to care a little about the ending of some characters (mainly Hugo and Ben) is an accomplishment, I guess. But the end of the series was otherwise an awful failure for the reasons you described here.

Abrams already had Megan’s mystery box on Felicity. Call me crazy, I expected more from Lost.

5. May 25, 2010 7:54 pm

Robert Lewis

Seeing that what the passengers went through on their “landing” to the island was the “10″ for any series of that time. The storyline seemed to be similar to a few ideas from plays titled, “Outward Bound” and “Miracle Monday”. What the series did for the viewers is gave them an opportunity to go to bed hoping these characters would survive and da** the oddities. In the end, the show and the viewers all received peace of mind. The show concluded with the results that were in front of everyone from that beginning. As for me, they “lost” me as a viewer a few shows after that particular showing of the polar bear. I taped the final show and watched the following day. I was able to see why (again) I turned it off originally.

6. May 25, 2010 10:12 pm

Look, I’ve been seeing comments like the one above a lot lately and while my final assessment of the final season was pretty cold, I will say this: You can be smug about it and say stupid shit like “I watched a little of the first season and never went back, looks like I didn’t miss much,” all you like, but what you did miss was everything cool that happened between the point you dropped it and the point you picked it back up. Your curiosity to see where everything ended up in spite of missing the bulk of the narrative gives you absolutely no context to be judgemental about the whole thing.

Yes, the ending was a disappointment but getting there was genius.

7. May 29, 2010 10:35 pm

Rick W

When reading various sites about the Lost finale I am amazed at how many people seem so wrapped up in the sideways time line story of the show but say little of the Island and mystery aspect. The series was obviously two fold. The character relationship aspect and the Island mystery aspect. I really did enjoy both but was more intrigued with the science and mystery part of the story. The blend of the two made the show the success it was. It was the promise of the answers to these ubiquitous mysteries that kept me a steady viewer. If they had not included the mysteries in the story the show would not have lasted one season. It would have been a soap opera version of “Castaway”. The writing of the finale had viewers focused more on the sideways story with heavy doses of smiles, hugs, kisses, emotion and spiritualism and did very little for the Island mystery story. The island story was so disappointing that it felt like a Saturday morning kids cartoon. A carrot shaped stone holding evil at bay and keeping the bright warm light of life glowing? Give me a break. I took to heart the constant promise of “the answers are coming” and was very disappointed when they did not. “Ab Aeterno” and “Across the sea” were so satisfying because we were rewarded with being privy to answers to such profound and long awaited mysteries. I expected more elaboration of the story in more episodes like these or at least packaged in the finale. I was sadly let down. We learned little to nothing of mysteries we have been waiting for for years. Who built the several hundred foot statue and how on a remote island with no resources? What about the temple and the chamber below for the monster? The Egyptian influence throughout the island? The meaning of Jacobs tapestry? The power of the ash that held the monster at bay? The rules? Who was the figure we saw in the rocking chair in Jacobs cabin that cried “help me” to john? How did the crazy mother kill all of the MIB tribe and fill in the well alone? The list goes on and on. OK don’t answer every question but the profound ones beg to be answered.Take away the mystery aspect of the show and it would not have lasted one full season. By not fulfilling their promise of giving answers the writers disrespected and cheated us by giving us an incomplete story. It would be like reading a 1000 page mystery novel only to find several key pages had been ripped out of the final chapter. Totally unsatisfying weak and apathetic story telling. The viewers who watched the show for the relationship story line got a big payoff with all the hugs, kisses and crying scenes. The viewers who watched for the science and mystery content ended up with a big ripoff instead . They either didn’t care or were not talented enough to give us an intelligent, creative and entertaining ending to the story. Shameful and down right cruel to lead us on season after season believing we would be rewarded for our faithful viewing and have our pent up curiosity satisfied. And then cheating us as they did. What a let down. Wake up people we have been had by two con men. They are laughing all the way to the bank at our expense. Never will I watch anything by these two clowns again.

8. May 30, 2010 11:51 am

Rich Brunelle

So much hate. Not every story gives you all the answers at the end. Thats just how it goes. The end wasn’t perfect, but to totally blow off anything by these guys ever again because you weren’t happy with the end? Did you forget the amazing seasons that came before it? Like nothing ever on television before.
    I think it’s pretty ridiculous to throw that all out the window because they didn’t fill in a few gaps for you. Look at the bigger picture man.

9. May 31, 2010 5:23 pm

chattarjee

LOST is a 6-season series made out of 1-season material. The producers/writers are frauds – they played with our emotions and cheated us. They arbitrarily created hype after hype, introducing the impossible after impossible, pretended all these are connected, and continually promised ‘logical’ resolutions which they never intended to have, or were just not capable to accomplish. If this is storytelling, anybody can be a writer. If this is film-making, everybody is a film-maestro. Anybody can write a detective novel describing a seemingly impossible murder, many prominent suspects, many places/time, twists and turns, many revealing moments which still don’t reveal, etc, and finally finish with no obligation whatsoever to identify the murderer and conveniently say it was all a ‘character experiment’. Well, here’s a word of advice for the smug duo (cuse/lindelof) – keep such trashy experiments to yourselves. Why should we use ‘our imaginations’ to debate your unanswerable plot and failed-story? You have the audacity to think people are stupid? LOST is a TOTAL FAILURE.

10. May 31, 2010 5:44 pm

chattarjee

“Rich Brunelle” – no offense man, but while having a soft heart is good, don’t be so soft in the head. ‘Rick W’ is 100% correct. This series did not become an icon because it weaved human-relationship fabric better than Desperate Housewives (or Shakespeare for that matter). LOST became an icon due to the impossible mysteries – piling on one after another. The whole crescendo was created around those thousands of unanswerable plots – because they did promise at several strategic occasions in many strategic way that ‘the answers’ were coming. Habituated to the standard Hollywood formula where answers are always given, we trusted the writer/producer. It was impossible to imagine they’d take such a trip of us! Only the worst form of noncreative jerks are capable of this.

J J Abrams’ CLOVERFIELD actually made me suspicious of his abilities/wavelength a long time ago. When Miles Straume appeared talking to ghosts, I kind of knew LOST is probably going to be another CLOVERFIELD – lots of actions and no answers. But even at that standard, the LOST finale is way too pathetic.

I am certain there are many talented writers out there who could come up with a better integrated ending, solving at least the pertinent queries to fall in line, to bridge some short gaps in our minds. But I guess the smug-duo (cuse/lindelof) was too smug to accept the fact that they don’t have sufficient creative writing talent. They do possess a serious lot of general information about many things – from Egyptian culture to US Navy H-bomb experiments – but they have’nt understood anything. Knowing and understanding are 2 different things you see.

Had LOST been made a 90-min movie, the audience would have burnt down the screen and asked for full refund of their money. If it was a movie, LOST would have been such a total flop. Alas, we cannot break our own 40″ LCDs even after watching that pathetic joke of a finale :)

11. June 1, 2010 6:58 am

Sean O'Connell

I can still say I enjoyed lost even as it ticked me off, just not sure which is greater the joy or pain. Having the “light” amount to a big tub stopper for the island did not do it for me. Still we had some pretty good stuff with Ben and Locke portrayed by some fine actors. I guess the real test is that would I watch it again. I might watch a scene if I was channel flipping but would I want to watch the whole thing again…

12. June 1, 2010 5:03 pm

Michael Clark

Chattarjee & Rick W,

You are both spot on! You have both summed up my feelings completely and I feel totally let down by these writers. It’s as if they let Dan Brown write the last chapter to a great book. Many broken promises about explanations since there weren’t any. The ending explains nothing. How does that explain the “Oceanic 7″? How are the numbers (to which so much importance was being placed) explained?

How can they possibly flash-forward if they were dead the whole time? It is very clear now that the writers were just making things up as they went along either thinking they would eventually come up with something clever to explain everything in the end or, when they knew they couldn’t, saying “sod it” the general public won’t remember all six seasons.

Ever since The Sixth Sense, every writer who can not explain all the crap they throw at you has tried to use the “they’re all dead” card.

The show would have been better if they had just ended it at Season Four. Bomb blows everyone up; everyone dead. End of story.

13. July 1, 2010 1:39 pm

I once was “Lost”… - East Bay Alternative Medicine

[...] was somehow different than other television, more intelligent, artistic and conclusive. Like many others, I became skeptical as the season went on but was still disappointed with the [...]

14. July 26, 2010 1:21 pm

Xavier

Mixed results for me. Loved the emotional sway of the reawakenings in the flashsideways (or purgatory), but felt it drained the importance of the island conflict, especially at the point I reasoned that the sideways was an afterlife and not a parallel timeline split off from the jughead ‘explosion’. That realization made the season feel like a partial waste of time, though the writers had to use it as a plotting device to divert the audience with a new mystery. In the end, I felt the island conflict/mystery died out like a cork pulled from a pool of light (no Flocke turning into Smokey battling an empowered Jack), while the afterlife gave me temporary warm fuzzy feelings (except for Sayid not being with Nadia), but ultimately, this one ending of many possible endings means I feel no need to buy/rewatch any of the show. As a series B-, season 6 a C- and the finale a C.

15. August 7, 2010 7:49 am

Dean W.

No postmortem of ‘Lost’ has yet offered a real-world explanation as to why the series finale was such an intellectual, and creative, failure.

As someone who works in entertainment market research, it’s my view that Lost’s two, key players had new production deals in place, which required most of their attention, and for which the last season of ‘Lost,’ and its audience, paid the price.

‘Fringe,’ for example, appears to have been very time consuming to get up-and-running. Additionally, the multiple film deals that were moving forward during the filming of Season Six would also have been major distractions.

In my opinion, ‘Lost’ became a casualty of its creator’s success.

Dean W.

16. August 7, 2010 8:02 am

You probably nailed it with your theory. The entire final season was lazy television and in retrospect suggests that Lindelof and Cuse just wanted to tie it up so that they could move on to other projects.

17. August 7, 2010 3:46 pm

Andy A

When LOST was aired here in Scotland, I only watched about 15 minutes of somewhere in Season 2. I was put of by the whole flash back thingy.
    I was then convinced to watch it after getting season 1 from a friend. I was then hooked. I ended up watching the whole of the 6 seasons in about 10 weeks. While watching, you obviously have several questions building up. Such as how can Jack see his father alive on the island? Hurley’s numbers, how people survive a crash like that with cuts and bruises, how can Locke walk after being in a chair etc.
    Most were answered. However, not everything was accounted for. People suddenly started dissapearing during the time warps such as the other survivors of the crash. Their fate wasn’t answered. The Ajira plane was rigged with explosives, but after hurrying to the plane, the pilot, Sawyer etc didn’t rip out the C4.
    The biggest question for me was this. Apparently Kate, Sawyer, the pilot and Claire survived by getting on the Ajira plane and flying away. How come they were at the church to ‘move on’? Also Hurley and Lynus appeared to survive on the island, so why were they there? Desmond had Penny there too, but Penny wasn’t killed.
    Had a wee tear in the eye at the emotional side of things, but on relfection it left more questions than it answered. It seemed rushed and poorly thought out.

Seasons 1-5 were excellent though.

18. August 7, 2010 4:57 pm

I’m with you. I feel like the ride to the end was outstanding but the soft landing was a disappointing end to a great series.

19. November 5, 2010 2:02 pm

Last word on LOST

LOST was like this real sleezy guy who strings this girl along for 6 years, even giving her an engagement ring and then decides with no good reason, “Nevermind, I am not interested in marrying you anymore!” Isn’t this what the producers did?

For my people and I (who were TRUE, REALLY TRUE LOST fans) you felt really strung along and misled. It was just about th the finale!! The whole package can now be summed up as TERRIBLE!! If you really study the whole show and look back, LOST really took it’s terrible turn for the worse starting around season 5.

At first, we thought Season 5 was an epic season! But when you meditate on it now, you will realize that, Season 5 was when the show took a dive downhill! Season 5 decided to go another angle and in classic LOST fashion created more questions and issues that not only disconnected from Seasons 1-4 but that didn’t even fit with the original storyline. It make a jumbled mess that had 2 then 3 then 4 different themes.

Not only did you not have answers for like 100 questions but now in Season 5 you realized that the overall focus of the show was being blurred. I mean, was the goal to leave the island in Season 5? Was it to save the island? Was it to save the world? If they were all dead, then why were they candidates? Candidates for what? To save this “island?” They’re dead, they couldn’t save themselves. How can they save the island? Let me calm down, I feel rage coming on.

In total, http://www.darkufo.com did a brilliant research project that illustrates how bad this show was. Their research revealed that the total mysteries raised were 628, the ones ANSWERED were 351 and the UNANSWERED question count was: 277. Unbelievable! 277 questions unanswered questions sounds like really bad, terrible, incoherent writing! They tanked!

Let’s be real honest, the show was never about the characters, it was always about the mysteries. That is why the writers worked soooo hard to create those mysteries about Egypt, the numbers, Greeks, etc. Saying ‘It was about these characters who are lost” was a perfect copout from a bunch of producers/writers who went blank.

One of the producers was quoted as saying, “Well when you play with time travel it could be real tricky!” THEN DONT PLAY WITH IT THEN!

LOST’s only remaining fanbase will be those weirdos who say they were happy and satisfied with the LOST finale. I guarantee you that if these weirdos were to open up about their personal lives we would find them probably in a relationship with a male/female that has no point and brings them no real satisfaction! Because that what LOST was like!

The bottom line is that the LOST creators were great question creators (BRILLIANT)…but they were absolutely terrible question answerers. We gave them too much credit and they just were so unable to deliver. And that’s the truth Ruth!!

20. November 5, 2010 3:36 pm

Tony Nunes (not a weirdo)

Are you saying that after all of it, you came out not being a fan at all? I HATED the ending, and like you and so many others, felt truly duped. But I’m still a fan. I think the show did some amazing things, and had some really great characters portrayed brilliantly by some top notch actors. The end was shit, but I’m still a true fan. Does that really classify me as a weirdo? The X-Files sucked in the end too. I’m still a fan.

21. November 8, 2010 12:53 pm

Last word on LOST

I guess we may be speaking about ‘being a fan’ from two different definitions. For instance, you can love the first 2 albums from a certain music artist but hate the third one. Yet, you may still consider yourself a fan of the music artist. That is perhaps what you may be referring to when you say “fan”. Thats a good definition, I feel that way about certain music artists myself. But would you be a fan of that same music artist if you felt personally betrayed by him? How about if your girl cheated on you would you still be friends? Would you be friends with your boy who then decided to steal from you? Definitely not! I think my homies and I were fans of a show that we thought would bring answers. But once they failed to deliver, we disowned it! Sure we enjoyed the characters, the humor, the intrigue. But overall, we were ashamed to say we wasted 6 years watching. It’s funny, because we dont feel that way about X-Files. Yes, once Mulder left, the show went downhill and we never got satisfying answers. But X-Files had various episodes that didn’t have to do with the whole alien theme and the Smoking Man but were still really good. It kind of had cool episodes that you could still watch and be intrigued to this day like ‘Wetwired’. It did not leave us with 277 questions unanswered like LOST. We watch a LOST episode now only to see Jack and the survivors desperate to get off this “island” and all the while you are thinking in the back of your mind, “Jack why are you wasting your time? This is so pointless! This means nothing! You are all dead!” Hope that explains it better!!

22. March 22, 2011 11:04 pm

Michael

I don’t know why i thought about this tonight, but the finale got into my head and started bugging me. The reason I didn’t and still don’t like the finale after giving it a few chances is that it gives me no reason to watch Lost ever again. If I could forget the last season I would love to relive the series again. It’s just not worth it. They left nothing for me to wonder or go back and look for. It was just they were dead in the end. The Dharma didn’t matter. None of it mattered. It was just pointless.

23. March 23, 2011 8:06 am

You know? I think you just nailed it. This is why I was so let down. There are other shows I can revisit and from start to finish they feel like a complete package. Battlestar is a perfect example of this, but in the end of LOST, it was revealed that the writers were just winging it the whole time, referring to a copy of The Stand every time they needed a major plot hook.

24. March 31, 2011 5:51 am

Rian

“I`m Lost” that is what I used to say every time I finished watching an episode of Lost from season 1-3.It was an intriguing adventure full of mystery and some good character development and some bad,but always fun.But since watching season 5-6 all I thought was “I`m bored”.Lost already had thousands of characters,plots,settings questions and “answer” to explain but the writers didn`t want to that,maybe cause they wrote them selves into a corner,so they just kept writing more characters and plots and questions.They really went snooker loopy with the writing.I often see this in bad Computer games when a plot suddenly changes and you get introduced to cults and myths and bizarre things.I say NO to that type of thinking! I was drawn to Lost because of the yet unexplained Sci-fi and mystery.I really thought the answer to everything were going to be great because of the great mystery they created but in the end it was like your favorite heavy metal band going prog.It`s just weird and not weird in the sense that Lost season 1-3 was weird,it`s like the writers were preparing a tasty sandwich then without you noticing at first they replaced the lettuce with toilet paper.The time travel was pretty cool in season 4 but not as cool as in the movie `Primer` There is really only one solution to this problem : the writers must go back in time and fix the last 2-3 seasons but I fear they wont be able to ,because you can`t change your destiny.

25. June 29, 2011 3:09 am

Matty Brown

The “Mystery Box” analogy says it best. Going into the final season, I really thought I wanted answers. But the answers they gave really negated the whole LOST experience. Looking back on it, I wish it just ended with another big mindblowing question. At least then I could still think about LOST with a sense of wonder.

Plus, with the half-assed ending the gave us, they really destroyed LOST’s “rewatchability”, didn’t they? I’ll never watch it again.

SUCKS.

-Matty Brown
    eternitycomplex@yahoo.com

26. August 16, 2011 3:18 am

basti

Anyone who hasn’t yet realized that Lost was a brilliant series in many ways (including cast, plot and direction) either hasn’t given it enough attention or possesses a somehow defected brain. I don’t care how intelligent you think you are, if you fail to appreciate the immense imaginativeness and intricate metaphysical, symbolical and allegorical reality of the series, you are existing on some different plane of reality from me and numerous others. You’re like a blind man inspecting a colossal architectonic structure by touch, saying “Yeah, yeah, I am experiencing it – It just doesn’t feel special.”

When it comes to the finale, however… Shallow bullshit. That’s what the Lost finale resolution was. It wasn’t the lack of answers that fueled the most outrage, it was the introduction of an extremely illogical explanation as an excuse to sweep under the rug all the questions and details that were integral to the series from start to finish, breaking its whole integrity and beautiful, complex metaphysics and universal symbolism down to some cheap, easily digestible feelgood-laalaa for the smallest common denominator that is the assumed average viewer in their demographics. For those people Lost was just an elaborate fantasy soap opera. The rest of us who got their minds more involved in the metaphysical and sci-fi aspects that are the REAL Lost, had the taste (acquired or innate) to recognize the laziness, callousness and dishonesty of the writers that the season 6 finale manifested, and saw the final revelation for what it was: A poor, unimaginative excuse.

I wish the sixth season was rewritten, but for now I will just settle with dismissing the finale and excluding its “proposition” from my own interpretation of the series and its themes.