18 Nov

Retro-80’s video store chic rules in the trailer for Beyond The Black Rainbow

Posted by Bryan White | Thursday November 18, 2010 | News

Beyond the Black RainbowI’ve never heard of director Panos Cosmatos but I’ll tell you what, the trailer for this upcoming sci-fi piece, Beyond The Black Rainbow is mighty sweet! It says absolutely nothing about the actual plot, teases with a series of unbelievably cool retro-science fiction imagery hearkening back to a time in the 80’s when a box on the video shelf needed nothing more than a good illustration to hook a rental. The movie’s website claims that it’s “Set in the strange and oppressive emotional landscape of the year 1983, Beyond The Black Rainbow is a Reagan era fever dream inspired by hazy childhood memories of midnight movies and Saturday morning cartoons.” Consider me sold. That unbelievable analog synth soundtrack is a winner as well.

Want more? Check it: Deep within the mysterious Arboria Institute, a disturbed and beautiful girl (Allan) is held captive by a doctor in search of inner peace. Her mind controlled by a sinister technology. Silently, she waits for her next session with deranged therapist Dr. Barry Nyle (Rogers). If she hopes to escape, she must journey through the darkest reaches of The Institute… but Nyle wonʼt easily part with his most gifted and dangerous creation.

Individuals tuned to the social turmoil of the Reagan 80’s and the collective hangup on defeating communism with nuclear weapons in the night made 1983 to 1986 a really weird time to be a kid. Particularly, a kid growing up on shadowy dystopian science fiction and late shows proudly displaying poor production values in movies desperately trying to siphon some of that Mad Max cash that was so abundant in a society desperately trying to come to terms with the significant possibility that we all might die at the same time. Burned to a crisp instantly if we suffered the misfortune of living in and around a major population center, a Strategic Air Command base or a missile silo. Bravo Panos Cosmatos. Bravo. Now bring on the full feature, please!

1. November 18, 2010 2:49 pm

shezcrafti

Holy crap! That trailer was a phantasmagoria of awesome. I wonder if the movie will be as good. This is definitely going on my list.

2. November 18, 2010 3:25 pm

Gargus

Ok. For every director, actor or whatever in these modern times that says “Yeah its gonna be like a 80’s movie with a lot of old school this and that” you need to watch that teaser because that was closer to the look, feel and style of older cinema than anything Ive seen in the past decade.

The color filters, the film stock and especially the music was really great in that. It gave me a sense of excitement I just dont get anymore with 99% of the movies/trailers that come out.

Aside from a few moments where it was to clean and too polished looking it felt like a old trailer Id never seen before. I am excited for this.

3. November 18, 2010 3:27 pm

I’m with you. Whenever I hear the claims that movie X is going to be an homage to old school video store culture, I’m immediately skeptical and go on the defensive. Most of the time they get it wrong but I agree with you on this one, it really did get the whol atmosphere and aesthetic right.

4. November 23, 2010 5:27 pm

Mike from Bflo

It amazes me what simple imagery and music can do for film. This trailer seems to be from the John Carpenter meets Cronenberg playbook. With a dash of Jeff Lieberman for good measure.

5. June 3, 2012 2:28 am

’80s Night In: SSQ, Stacey Q, & ‘Beyond the Black Rainbow’ | shezcrafti

[...] & director Panos Cosmatos that's set in the year 1983. It's been on my watchlist since I first saw the trailer over at Cinema Suicide , so I really must thank Bryan who runs that blog for helping me to [...]

6. August 13, 2013 9:15 am