23 Jul

At Least Tom Savini Dies: Lost Boys – The Tribe

Posted by Todd Rigney | Wednesday July 23, 2008 | Reviews

The TribeGenerally speaking, most movies do not require a sequel. The Blair Witch Project, for example, could have lived happily ever after without its successor, the undeniably horrible and completely extraneous Book of Shadows. Don’t even get me started on An American Werewolf in Paris. Unless you’re bringing something entirely new to characters and/or scenario(s) crafted in the first outing, follow-ups are just another way for Hollywood to sneak a few more dollars out of your moth-eaten back pocket. There are exceptions, mind you, but not many. And as much as I love Gremlins 2 and Troll 2, the world would have been a-okay without them, thank you very much.

Dodgy director P.J. Pesce — who also helmed the ultra-boring Tom Berenger actioner Sniper 3 — has added yet another title to this never-ending list of cinematic mistakes. Lost Boys: The Tribe, developed by Warner Home Video’s questionable direct-to-video label Warner Premiere, is every bit the stank bastard you’d expected it to be. It’s the very definition of “knock-off,” a cheap imitation of an interesting concept that made a few dollars for the studio several years back. Strip away the title and the presence of professional has-been Corey Feldman and you’ve got nothing more than a cheap erotic vampire flick that will probably appeal to fat chicks eagerly awaiting the arrival of Twilight. Insert heavy sigh here.

As with most sequels, Lost Boys: The Tribe borrows heavily from the first installment of the franchise, changing just enough of the original elements to qualify as an honest to God motion picture. The story follows the adventures of two moronic siblings (Tad Hilgenbrink and Autumn Reeser) as they attempt to rebuild their lives after the unexpected demise of their parental units. Their version of therapy: drink, fight, and screw anyone with functional genitalia. This exercise in risky behavior soon thrusts them into the collective grasp of several suave and sexy vampires who spend most of their free time playing video games and surfing in the moonlight. If you’ve seen The Lost Boys, chances are you know exactly where this train is headed.

Veteran screenwriter Hans Rodionoff is no stranger to garbage. Anyone who has had the unfortunate pleasure of experiencing National Lampoon’s Bag Boy is already painfully familiar with this guy’s ability to sell vomit to bulimics. His script for The Tribe is a hodge-podge of tricks and gimmicks gleaned from other films; there’s not a shred of originality or an inspired idea anywhere in the entire picture. His characters, meanwhile, are paper-thin and obnoxious, giving you the distinct impression that poor Rodionoff has spent too much time reading Seventeen magazine than studying his craft. Needless to say, the whole bloated affair is as original as a pimple on prom night. This is Hack Writing 101.

The cast, meanwhile, does little to help ease the pain associated with the material. Hilgenbrink and Reeser have all the spark and charisma of Disney Channel has-beens, leaving their vampiric co-stars to chew scenery in-between failed attempts at macho posturing. Corey Feldman, on the other hand, appears more than a little eager to repise his role as Edgar Frog, one of the handful of characters which made him famous back in the 80′s. He is, without a doubt, the best part of the whole picture. Unfortunately, that’s really not saying too much. Oh, and just for the record, there’s a very good reason why Angus Sutherland isn’t as famous as his older brother. I won’t ruin the surprise for you.

P.J. Pesce should be ashamed. Not only has he contributed yet another redundant sequel to this stagnant cinematic wasteland we call Hollywood, he has also spit a warm, wet loogie in the proverbial face of the Joel Schumacher’s influential 1987 classic. Despite the moderately humorous one-liners and the ocassional spray of blood, Lost Boys: The Tribe is a just another product Warner Premiere wants you to buy simply because you recognize the title. It’s lacking in every possible department, right down to the incompetence of its pretty young cast. I’d be wallowing in distilled disappointment right now had I not expected as much from the get-go. Unless you’re just cursed with a curious nature, you’re better off pretending this one doesn’t exist.

After all, ignorance is cinematic bliss.

1. July 24, 2008 12:47 pm

Lurple

Sounds like I can keep ignoring this; when today’s Corey Feldman is the best part of your movie, I probably don’t want to see it. I make a small exception for his priceless temper tantrum at the end of the Bikini Bandits Experience, which is the only truly good part of that “film”.

Thanks for taking one for the team.

2. July 26, 2008 10:58 am

Remo D.

You mean Warner Premiere outdid RETURN TO HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL???

3. July 29, 2008 9:08 pm

Mike D

This was the worst movie I think I have ever seen, it ruined The cult classic of the lost boys. I would have rather watched Corey Feldman sing for the one and half hours, and that in itself makes me want to throw up. Thanks Warner Brothers for messing up something that people have waited for for 22 years, hmmmm 22, is that how many dollars they spent making this movie?? By the looks of it yes!

4. July 30, 2008 8:40 am

Look at it this way, dude. You can still pop in the original movie and do your best to forget the sequel. The ’87 Lost Boys is still a bad ass flick. Why anyone was expecting anything but shit from this sequel is a mystery to me.

5. July 30, 2008 6:30 pm

Steve H

What a complete piece of crap!!! And stop giving Corey Feldman props…..he sucked too. He’ll do anything right now to make a buck .

6. July 31, 2008 9:51 pm

Babs

Did anyone watch the inevitable alternate endings on the special features? They could not seriously be called “endings”. It was just a chance for a high on prescription pain killers, Corey Haim, could make his one cameo in the entirety of the movie. And AE #1 only differed from AE#2 with the addition of Corey Haim’s sunglasses. Let’s be honest here…were these necessary?
    I guess you could say this move “tried”, but alas, fell immensely short of reaching the status of its predecessor.
    I don’t think this movie could appeal to anyone (even the, as you said, “fat chicks” *rolls eyes*)
    And lets not rag on Twilight just yet….unless 20 years from it’s release they decide to make a shitty remake of it.

7. July 31, 2008 10:26 pm

Michael c.

I can’t believe I wasted the money to buy this movie. I was so disappointed. The original is one of my favorite horror movies of all time! I just don’t understand what the point was of recycling material from it’s predecessor just to rehash the same exact story(badly). I had to see if other fans out there were as disgusted by this movie as I was! I thought about the movie over and over after watching it to try to convince myself that maybe I’m simply getting old and didn’t get the whole aspect of the movie. I’m glad that it really isn’t my imagination that the movie was terrible.Sorry Corey Feldman, your performance was the only thing good about the movie . I don’t mean any disrespect!! I know you tried your best to save the movie but “Lost Boys:The Tribe” is simply a horrible “Lost “cause. I hope Warner Bros. can take the hint from fan reactions and not attempt to ruin other series they own rights to. This horror movie/sequel/mistake should be placed up there with other awful insults to the franchise like “Friday the 13th 8: Jason Takes Manhattan” or “Poltergeist 3″ ! They were pointless and offered nothing to either series but shame and and drained more money from fans who bought them begrudgingly just to complete their collections.

8. July 31, 2008 10:38 pm

mark

I just didn’t like it at all.

9. July 31, 2008 10:46 pm

I don’t mean to come off like a dick, you guys, but I cannot seem to get my mind around this.

I’m a fan of the original. I love it. It’s stylish. It’s a properly urban gothic vampire movie. But how anyone could have been expecting anything but an abortion is just beyond me. It’s a sequel that is 21 years too late.

I’m also puzzled as to why they didn’t just remake it instead of sequelizing it since it seems too old to appeal to its target teenage audience.

10. August 2, 2008 11:15 am

Tina

I have been in love with the Lost Boys since I first saw it in ’87… having seen it probably over 1,000 times since then and never getting sick of it. I bought the Lost Boys The Tribe (knowing it possibly couldn’t compare to the original) out of curiosity. I could not fathom how cheesy it was and such horrible acting … It should not even have the ‘Lost Boys’ in the title-I was so disappointed. There was too much sex/nudity crap, they repeated too many of the same lines from the first movie, they never decapitated or ate the entrails out of their victims in the first one, the head vampire lived in a mansion and was an ex surfer (?!!?), plus the vampires even died unoriginally (getting stabbed by a stake) rather than, for example the way Billy Wirth died “death by stereo!”. Bleh, I wish I could return the movie with the excuse that it was stupid. I probably will never watch it again.

11. August 3, 2008 6:07 am

RockerboB

I watched it with the mindset that it would suck. I wasn’t disappointed, instead of hating it, embrace it’s awfulness, and have a good time making fun of it. I agree well enough should have been left alone after the original sequel idea was scrapped back in the 80′s, but I say enjoy it for the comedy that it is. It’s movies like Lost Boys The Tribe that give me hope that I will one day get to see Idle Hands 2.

12. August 4, 2008 10:26 am

Bonez

Honestly…..I thought it would be way worse, but none the less completley ruined it. The whole plot didnt make any sense….the two kids are named Emerson, that was jason patric and corey haims name. their mom was single, it just dosent clarify anything. and whoever said they’d rather watch corey feldman sing for an hour and half needs grapefruit shoved up their ass!!

13. August 4, 2008 10:11 pm

jesse richardson

it sucked

14. August 4, 2008 10:30 pm

jesse richardson

corey feldmans performance was so so so bad!!!!! he was great as a child actor, but truly lost the ability right after “dream a little dream”….oddly enough that was the last mainstream film he ever made. dam he was so great in the original lost boys but look at him now. he and corey haim should of stayed away from this hunk of pure trash, out of respet for all the fans of the original. thats why it didnt get a theatrical release, very low budget knock of the original…and aiden singing “cry little sister” hahahahahaha!!!!! hey j.c. peace u suck as a director, and both the coreys are ass clowns…hey feldman stop singing your voice sounds like u are taking a dump that just wont come out…and haim u are a premadonna…. oh i almost 4got angus sutherland more like anus sutherland, because his performance stunk like an ass!!!!

15. August 5, 2008 4:00 pm

Sharebear

This is the worst movie I’ve ever seen in my life!!! I told my 11 year old all about the 1st movie and watched it with him to prepare for “the tribe”. He loved the 1st also and after watching 15 minutes of “the tribe” we had to turn it off due to the gore and the sex scenes! We are sooooo disappointed. What a total waste of time and money!! I used to love the Coreys and now I think their both a joke!

16. August 5, 2008 9:19 pm

Sher

Oh, it was awful, wasn’t it? Don’t get me wrong, I knew nothing could ever live up to the original (great direction, tight plot, sweet cast, huge cult following), but I DID hope for something I could stomach. Too bad for me, eh?

The acting was…I can’t even think of a word that describes how utterly awful, shallow, and vapid it was. Someone on another thread describes Angus Sutherland as Kiefer with an extra chromosome—and while that’s terribly mean, if you watch the performance you’ll know why he made the insult. Autumn Reeser was like a mop with a wig attached. Tad Hilgenbrink had all the depth of a puddle. Feldman would have been neat to see in his returning role…if it weren’t for the overdramatic and constant Rambo voice, coupled with facial expressions that looked like he needed to go poopy in the potty.
    Don’t even get me started on the foulmouthed tools who played the vampires. Carrot top has more mysteriousness and subtelty than these *extreme!* dorks. Ever watch Harold and Kumar and laughed at the *extreme!* dudes? Yeah. They were like that.

I won’t say anything about the plot . There wasn’t one to comment about. Same goes for the “direction”.

I knew it was gonna be bad. But my Lost Girl heart is still a little bruised all the same.

17. August 9, 2008 10:46 am

rob

Well, I just wanted to read up on some reviews before I rented this movie. Thank you all. You have saved my Lost Boys (’87) loving soul. I won’t even bother watching this as I do not want to stain the love I have for the original movie. Thanks to you all for “taking one for the team”. I will just go home and watch the original once again.

“Well, you’re the man of the house and I’m not coming in until you invite me.”

18. August 17, 2008 4:00 pm

Rain.

I am truely in love with the original “Lost Boys.” Although “The Tribe” was a huge disappointment; I don’t believe I hated it as much as everyone else who replied. It was a pathetic attempt of finding more to take off of the original.. but I must say.. I’m intrigued enough to have to watch the third one once it comes out. Yes, they’re making a third one. Corey & Corey progressively are getting worse with time. So after watching The Tribe, just pop in the original & be refreshed. I just didn’t care for the suspense they leave you with. I read up & apparently Nicole & Chris Emerson are the niece & nephew of Sam Emerson, Corey Haim.. who is now a vampire? Along with Alan Frog, Edgar Frog’s brother. It’s just not adding up in my mind yet. Who are the children of, Sam or Michael? & who is their Aunt Jillian married to.. either Sam or Michael I suppose, because Nicole & Chris are also the niece & nephew of her annoying ass.

19. September 13, 2008 5:08 am

simon

sunglasses was needed ., 1 ending he was a half vampire the other he wasnt

20. January 19, 2009 4:31 pm

Mellie

You all are so stupid of course it wasn’t as good as the first one. You all just set your self up for disappointment!

21. January 19, 2009 4:33 pm

Mellie

… and to the person who didn’t understand the Emerson’s thing, the kids were Michael and Stars, I can’t believe you didn’t catch on!

22. April 16, 2009 3:46 am

Matt

Nice Review.

I agree. This movie sucked, big time! Poor writing, poor…poor…poor…

23. July 5, 2009 4:10 am

Alyssium

My poor mother…
    Like myself, a big ‘Lost Boys’ fan. So naturally when the sequel came out, she had to buy it. Of course we didn’t expect it to dazzle us with an overly original/ intriguing plot line, or a well balanced cast like it’s predecessor. The sequel is never as good as the original in any (or very few) cases, am I right? My mother and sister sat down to watch it one weekend, but I don’t believe they ever finished it… Luckily for me, I was at the other end of the room settled down with my copius amounts of homework, and a set of earphones. I didn’t see much, save for the occasional glance over my shoulder. As fate would have it, I only saw scenes containing enough blood to fill an aquarium, and flying body parts that typically do more good when they’re inside of you. What shocked me the most was that my little sister, the Princess of Nosferatu, the Damsel of Underworld, the Bram Stoker Zealot, was– frightened?! Whether it was the ingesting of intestines, or the crass nudity (which I thankfully missed), I cannot say.

Unfortunately, I AM cursed with ungovernable, curious nature– and even worse, the DVD is in my very house! Right across the room… I could put it into the computer, and have a little look-see… but no! I can’t taint the love I have for one of my all time favourite movies. I think I’ll simply dispose of it instead. Thank you for the warning, and my condolences to my fellow Lost Boys fans.

24. March 6, 2010 12:34 pm

Jennifer

Someone put Feldman on suicide watch? I think one person can only handle failure so many times. Isn’t there a CSI or Law and Order he can star in?

25. May 11, 2012 4:08 pm

Anon

in my opinion, corey feldman did the best he had 2 work with. i love the 80′s lost boys so much. yeah the movie wasn’t that good, but i think the two coreys did the best with what they had to work with. Many will disagree but hey the movie could have been worse :L <3