19 Mar

Marvel Zombies 4 going old school

Posted by Bryan White | Thursday March 19, 2009 | News,Uncategorized

marvel zombies 4The first Marvel Zombies series was a lot of fun as Earth’s (and otherwise) mightiest heroes were infected with a disease that turned them into zombies.  Aided by their individual powers, they managed to eat the entire Marvel Universe, including Galactus! But the power of the ducket cannot be denied and Marvel launched a second series, picking up exactly where the first left off, leaving only a handful of human survivors on Earth under Black Panther’s protection. Unfortunately, the covers to Marvel Zombies 2, zombie spoofs of classic Marvel Comics covers from the past, were the best part of the book and the whole concept managed to jump the shark by the final pages of issue number one.  Suffice to say, I rode it out through a few issues and then let it go.

But Marvel Zombies continues to be a profitable venture and Marvel’s writers have come to realize that they haven’t quite killed off everyone in the continuity, they manage to dredge up some of their minor characters to stay and fight the zombies in Marvel Zombies 3 and carry them into the fourth entry in the series and where I wouldn’t ordinarily give a fuck, well, these are characters that bring nostalgia to mind for me.

marvel-zombies-4-2

When I first began buying comics, I would drop a little money on back issues of Marvel’s horror titles from the 70’s. I’m talking Ghost Rider, Werewolf By Night, Tomb of Dracula and Man-Thing. The restrictive nature of the Comics Code made it difficult for Marvel’s writers to fall back on convenient horror themes of the time so they had to get creative and as distinctly 70’s-ish as these books are, there’s a real darkness about them that’s easy enough for the saturday matinee crowd.

marvel-zombies-4-31

So here comes Marvel Zombies 4, starring Daimon Hellstrom (Son of Satan), Jack Russell (Werewolf By Night), Man-Thing, Morbius the Living Vampire and Jennifer Kale. Horror fans have a tendency to gravitate toward these characters that Marvel has swept under the rug time and time again even though writers are lined up around the block to resurrect them and bring them back into the continuity. Marvel Zombies is what it is and I’m not holding my breath for anything high quality, but it thrills me to see some of Marvel’s horror comics superstars all appearing in one book. I just have to wonder where Dracula, Frankenstein and Marvel’s original Zombie is through all of this.

1. March 19, 2009 10:39 am

Dan Taylor

This is cool news… I bought the first Marvel Zombies for a friend for Xmas but never read it myself. Another pal got me into Werewolf By Night and I’m just starting on Marvel Essential WBN Vol. 2… definitely have to check this out.

2. March 19, 2009 11:04 am

Those Essentials collections are the way to go, man. They’re printed on cheap-ass newsprint and they’re in black and white but for the price of five books you get something like thirty books! And it doesn’t end there, they’re really digging deep for their horror books. There are a couple volumes of Wrewolf by Night, Tomb of Dracula, Monster of Frankenstein and Tales of the Zombie. The Essentials line has been so successful that even DC is getting into it and producing their own line of cheap and dirty reprints. Harris Comics even did this last year by collecting all the Vampirella books you would want to read, including the near-complete run of the Jose Gonzalez books. It’s a retro-horror fan’s dream come true.

3. March 19, 2009 10:24 pm

Shawn

This looks promising, Bryan. Marvel Zombies 2 and 3 were dreadful, but this makes me interested. However, I will admit that I enjoyed the Marvel Zombies/Ash crossover.

4. April 6, 2009 9:42 pm

clark henley

Hey guys, I thought that every Marvel Zombies book was alright. one thing I have always heard whining about was how characters like Thor, Blade, Ghost rider, Hercules, and other immortal characters have become infected. None of us know where this thing came from, And i’m sure Robert kirkman dosen’t have an idea either. And as far as story plot goes, I think that they have been for the most part brilliant. However I do think that MZ 2 was a bit on the dry side. So now lets all shut up, sit down, and enjoy the ride.

5. April 8, 2009 4:13 pm

Zeke Howlett

I admit the MZ titles have gone down hill but this looks like a fun read. The question I have is what happened with ultimate doom getting sent into MZ universe? I don’t follow ultimate fantastic four so if anyone has an insight let me know. Though seeing ultimate doom blast some zombies would be a fun single issue.

6. April 10, 2009 7:07 pm

Carycomic

For those who liked the surprise ending to AoD vs. MZ? There’s a slight homage to it at the end of MARVEL APES: THE AMAZING SPIDER-MONKEY # 1.

You gotta read to almost not believe it. ;-)