6 Oct

31 Ghost Stories – Day 6, The Union Missouri haunting

Posted by Bryan White | Wednesday October 6, 2010 | 31 Ghost Stories

Union, Missouri Fear HouseI don’t really know what it was about the 70′s that made people so aware of the paranormal. Guys like Yuri Geller hit the workshop circuit, charging ridonculous quantities of cash money to teach people how to bend spoons with their mind. You had this post-hippie human potential movement out there convincing people that they could walk through walls, levitate or project their consciousness around the world with nothing more than some meditation and a high fiber diet. Prestigious universities had actual parapsychology programs. Students and professors were receiving grants to investigate the homes of maniacs for signs of reported paranormal activity. To top it all off, The United State government and The Soviet government engaged in a psychic arms race to develop the best psychic soldiers that money could buy. It was a really weird time. It’s this paranormal quality that made so-called true stories of the paranormal such pop cultural hits. Shit like The Exorcist and The Amityville Horror, both alleged to be true stories. The DiFeo Murder House of Amityville Horror fame and the Smurl Poltergeist actually received a lot of headline news until both were revealed to be hoaxes but for a while they Lutzes and the Smurls were fringe-culture rock stars. Eventually these things pass and we stop hearing about the big deal hauntings but they continue to happen. If this were the 70′s, then a particular house located in Union, Missouri would be up there with the best of them. This one is pretty fucking intense.

Steve LaChance is a single father of three and in 2001 needed to find a place for his family to live on the cheap and quickly. After a bit of searching, he was sold on an old house in Union, Missouri that was in pretty good condition and in short order, after a bit of competition, he was selected by the landlady to move into the place. As soon as they moved in, neighbors began to make veiled remarks about the house. It had a reputation, it seems. People walking by the house would go out of their way to cross the street before walking in front of the property.

Immediately, Steve started to notice strange things about the house. All of the doors to the rooms had a hook and eye latch to lock each one, but the unusual thing about that was that the locks were not on the inside of the rooms to insure privacy. They were on the outside, as if to keep something inside each room. Whatever occupied the house in Union didn’t give LaChance and his children much time to settle before it began raising hell. It seemed to delight in picking on the children. Their first encounter with the forces inside the house took place with Steve’s son who had gone to the basement to bring up a hose for yard work. LaChance heard his screams from inside the house and he found his son in the kitchen in shock, claiming that something had chased him up the stairs, some formless thing that he couldn’t identify.

LaChance and the kids would leave the house with the lights shut off and return to find every light in the place on. The temperature dropped in strange places around the house and then LaChance saw it for the first time, the presence in the house made itself known to him by appearing as the undetailed shape of a person, defined only by swirling smoke and mist but black through and through. As he calmly ushered his kids out of the house to get away, they heard it for the first time, a man screaming so loud from the inside of the house that it could be heard on the outside. As they left, LaChances son informed him that the thing that chased him up from the basement was watching them from the windows. The children spent the week with Steve’s parents while he was out on business. Upon returning he managed to convince everyone that what they had plainly seen happen did not actually happen and everything was cool. Their weekend passed without incident but that was about all the rest they were going to get. Apparently, the presence in the house felt as though it had to up its game.

A phone call to the landlady didn’t help matters when Steve sheepishly asked if she knew anything about ghosts in the place. She, of course, wouldn’t admit to jack squat but did tell him that the things in the shed out back belonged to previous tenants who hadn’t stayed long and refused to come pick their stuff up.

Shortly thereafter, after LaChance did his best to talkĀ  himself out of his paranoia that he had leased a haunted house, the presence came alive like never before. As he spoke on the phone with his mother, his daughter read in her room and his sons slept in theirs, the doors began rattling on their frames, building with intensity. Shortly thereafter, the screaming from before began again, starting quietly and building with intensity along with the rattling doors. Soon, a pounding on the stairs began as if something were making its way down. The whole place sounded like a warzone, according to LaChance. As he made his way around to get his kids up and out, LaChance described the sound as the man’s screaming, now joined by the screaming of children, a cacophony of suffering that accompanied the tremors that made it seem like the entire house was trying to tear iteself apart. LaChance could feel the presence close to him as he ran with his kids to get out and the entire place smelled awful, consistent with extreme haunting stories. LaChance and his family managed to get out and leave before anything really terrible happened.

In its wake, the children have relayed stories of how the being revealed itself to them. LaChance described a vague figure but it seemed to tap directly into whatever frightened the kids most. To one of his sons, it appeared as a clown that tormented him based on the kid’s paralyzing fear of clowns. Everyone complained of a shared dream wherein they saw a man in the basement feverishly washing blood off of his body in the butcher shower that was down there. LaChances story of the Union house is the most visible but paranormal research teams have all been back there with equipment to document their findings, other families have lived there complaining of the same sort of torment that LaChance reported It is a petrifying account of a mostly undocumented haunting. LaChance, traumatized by his stay in the screaming house in Union kept in touch with the people who would later move in. Things didn’t go well for them either. Family pets would die, showing evidence of being beaten savagely. Residents were hospitalized having been pushed down the stairs by some unseen force. Some were even admitted to psychiatric hospitals after suicide attempts or crippling depression brought on by living in a house that wouldn’t let them rest.

Simply put, The Union House is a seriously fucking scary place.

1. October 14, 2010 12:14 am

Rita

I have been in this house in the 1980′s. All I will say is that I KNOW THIS IS NOT A STORY. THIS IS A FACT.

2. October 19, 2010 12:58 pm

Amy Lynne

I went to high school with the Steven LaChance’s daughter who was in my younger sister’s class and it still gives me the chills thinking that she and her family went through this and more while living in this house. This all happened right before her high school years. It has been one of the most often told ghost stories in the little farm town of Union, Missouri. Everytime you even drive by the house, you get a very uneasy feeling.

3. October 19, 2010 1:00 pm

It really surprises me that that house has managed to remain a local legend among people in Union and hasn’t really broken out to Amityville proportions because it seems like everyone familiar with that story from that region are actually very nervous about that place and it was confined to just LaChance’s experiences there. Plenty of people have gone through hell living there. The legacy of that place would make a killer horror movie.

4. October 19, 2010 1:33 pm

Amy Lynne

Perhaps Steven was the only one that had the courage to actually come out and talk publicly about his experiences. A lot of the locals here have heard stories of other tenants of this house, but its never really gone any further than that. I think the book that Steven wrote about it will really bring out some attention to the house. Perhaps we can look for a movie on the “Screaming House of Union, Missouri” in the near future.

5. October 23, 2010 5:05 pm

Dennis

Whoa. Listening to obscure Black Metal by GhostRider and reading this story just made me turn around at 5:04 in the afternoon. Creepy current shit, best comments ever.

6. February 2, 2011 9:38 pm

Dezi

I live in Union missouri i know the exact spot where it is its about 2-5 miles away from my house!

7. February 8, 2011 4:47 pm

chris

does anyone know the address of that house? I am a old co worker of steve. yif you know the address please email me. cmf_25_99 at yahoo

8. April 30, 2011 1:32 pm

Cassidy

I live a block from this house and have never heard of this until last night, the strange thing is I have sometimes felt what I described to friends a dark present at night sometimes when walking my dog. it’s a dark presence and it is scary, I don’t scare early.

9. August 17, 2011 10:49 pm

Corinne

I have lived here all my life, an never until this day heard anything about this house.

10. August 31, 2011 2:12 pm

jamie

i would like to know if anyone lives there now and if not how much is the rent?

11. August 31, 2011 2:23 pm

You got moxie, kid! But stay away from that house. I’m a huge skeptic, in fact, and even I’m pretty sure it’s a bad, bad house.

12. September 2, 2011 12:15 pm

mike davis

this story is no shit people ! i knew eli, steve, emmit,ashley,and i my self was attacked and thrown, not willing, guest at mpc in st.louis for what i was trying to tell people about that house.

13. March 2, 2012 6:45 pm

Kelly L

Can someone please email me the address? Kellylair@ymail.com I would REALLY appreciate it . God bless

14. March 4, 2012 9:19 pm

Julie H

I too would like to know the location of this property. Please email the address to me. Thanks… God be with you

15. March 12, 2012 11:35 pm

Georgeina

809 N Christina Ave Union MO 63084

16. April 11, 2012 5:54 pm

vladimir

i read the book freken scary i would like to talk to some one whos know the family
    vourslade@gmail.com

17. July 3, 2012 1:53 pm

Christopher

if it is haunted a blessing in it would fail spirits they return 100% angry if not good ones Exorcism is a great idea for it but churches need proof an evidence

18. January 18, 2013 7:27 pm

Heidi

Can someone please email me the address heidi.amador@ymail.com thank you

19. January 25, 2013 12:24 pm

Mike

I just read the book and my heart goes out to all of you. I have dealt with spirits all my life. Most of it has been nothing. But I did live two weeks of hell to only find out it was my deceased uncle making hell on my life. I cant really grasp what you folks were dealt with. All i can say is i am glad you lived through it to tell you`re story. People must believe, cause the spirits are every where!

20. February 9, 2013 6:54 pm

Theresa

I saw the story I’m a show called aA Haunting. I am from one town over but my son lives in union. I agree I have driven past that house million times. Very creepy feeling.

21. February 13, 2013 12:00 pm

Carrie

i lived in this house back in 2001 with my daughter sister mother and neice, this story is no shit, scary as hell and it has traumatised our entire family, physical injuries happened, for the longest time i thought nothing of the things that were happening but when it happened to me i freaked and moved me and my child out and will never retutn to this place or any where near it

22. June 16, 2013 3:19 am

Josh

Is this house located on a gravel road near abandoned houses or something in that nature? My little sister Emily was telling me about a ghost encounter she had while she was with her friend and her family where a lot of paranormal things started happening; like a man screaming from what seemed to be the inside of her car, seeing the gravel of the road shift before her eyes, and seeing a large, wolf-like figure that had a shadowed presence.

23. July 26, 2013 3:01 am

ck

i live in union, 2 blocks up. knew the renters in 2003 and this is no joke. personally i think that entire side of union is haunted having something to do with the nursing home from the 1800′s that still resides up the hill from the house

24. October 12, 2013 5:39 pm

Kelly

Steven Lachance is lecturing at East Central College Nov.7th 2013 @ 7:00pm. I’m attending, thought you all might be interested.

25. January 21, 2014 8:00 pm

poodah

I have friends that work at sunset nursing in union and she works inthe altheimer wing .at night when they put the residents to bed they put that area on what they call lock down because some patients like to wander the halls. she has heard feet scuffubg on the floor,footsteps in what sounds like heavy boots and seeb a man walk down a hallway and when she went to get him he was gone and there was no doors or windows in the area where he turned…I am told there is a large area that includes the cemetary,christina ave and all the way to the nursing home, that was owned by a man who had slaves years ago and that area that was owned gy him is supposed to be haunted by the slaves…. thats just what i heard

26. March 16, 2014 1:13 pm

10 Creepy Tales About Clowns |

[…] younger son, on the other hand, witnessed something more terrifying: a demonic clown ghost walkingin the hallway. As it turned out, his son had a crippling fear of clowns, and the ghost was clever enough to prey […]

27. April 3, 2014 9:55 pm

heidi

I live in union mo. Bought my house oct of 2002. The whole time I have lived in my home I have had things happen that would scare the hell out of you. From things moving on their own, doors shutting and slamming in your face, things coming up missing, unexplained bruises on myself that ive woke up with, footsteps at night, hearing voices including a little girl which my daughter used to talk to and fall asleep with when she was younger, I have pictures months apart of a lady in my mirror and you can see her clearly, but the worst thing is my husband became obsessed with whatever it is in my home. He did research on spirits was constantly takin pics and so on. I came home years ago to find that my husband had committed suicide in my shed in the back yard. It was extremely un expected. I had just spoke with him a few hours prior to getting home and he was fine. After he passed I rented the house. Renters moved out due to “ghosts”. The list goes on. I am back livin in the home but I have been looking for another place to go. I trully believe union has many things unexplained. I pray I can sell it fast and my children and I find a place we can call home instead of feeling like theres a dark presence all around us…